Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Must Sell at Tallest Sum

It seems like everyone talks about the economy on a daily basis now. A lot of people are obsessed with money; retirement, how can I make more money, how should I invest, saving money, the things they want to buy, and the buying low and selling high and all that.

As everyone knows, I Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
I know my profile list my occupation as profiteering, but specifically, I'm in sales and marketing for a hydraulic and industrial distributor. I custom build web sites for my company's products and design and implement online marketing campaigns to draw customers to the ecommerce sites, as well as sell on ebay, amazon, and yahoo stores. Doin' stuff on the internet. Sure sounds cool, huh? But no matter what industry you are in, the point is to make money, right? Lot & lots of money...

http://www.floridahydraulic.comhttp://www.floridahoseguys.com
http://stores.ebay.com/floridahoseguyshttp://www.bonzerhydraulics.com
(Shameless self-promotion, huh?)http://stores.ebay.com/bonzerhydraulics
http://www.thehydraulicshop.comhttp://usa-hydraulic.amazonwebstore.com/

But making money is only the point for the time that I am at work, and it's important not to define yourself by your employment or future career path. If you overhear someone asked, "So, what do you do?", you never hear them say that they go to a certain church, or talk on the phone, go out to dinner and watch movies with their wife, go fishing and play basketball with their kids, and they make pretty good lasagna, and so on. People seem to always say, 'I sell cars', or 'I'm a teacher,' or whatever. But what you do for work isn't who you are, or at least it shouldn't be. Think about it; if most people sleep for about 7 hours a night, then they sleep 9 more hours a week than they work. Hey.. you're not an account manager, you're a sleeper. Maybe I'll start telling people that ask what I do that I just sleep most of the time. Wait.. actually, while 7 hours a night is not most of the time it's still a whopping 29%. It's pretty lame that in an 85 year lifespan, you'll sleep 24-1/2 years!
Anyway, we should try to keep our minds set on what is truly important to us in life. Just like the adage not to bring your personal problems to work, don't worry about work in your personal life. We all need money for expenses, but sometimes our wants drive us to pursue money too much. Point is, balance. Go to work all week, then cash your check and forget about work until Monday. Work hard without being a workaholic. Be careful with money, but not necessarily a cheapskate. Be generous to others without being frivolous. I say, forget working on days and nights and weekends.. I mean, you have to be reliable and industrious to have job security, but go ahead and miss work to do stuff with your family if you have to-- work will always be there, and you'll never look back and regret not earning a few more bucks, but missing important parts of your kids' childhoods can't be undone.



Next time: How to Make Millions From Home on the Interweb!




2 comments:

  1. If you sleep more than you work, you're a sleeper! I know some guys who would lose less money for their companies if they slept on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Mommy-People ask me what I do? I say I am a Mommy! Could I say I am a Nurse, Driver, Teacher, Counsler, toilet cleaner, babysitter and so on. I could go on for hours.LOL! One thing I am not is a sleeper-I would like to be! I sleep like 4-5 hours a night!

    ReplyDelete